Art Collectors Collective
This idea emerged during the FoodSpark series on Arts & Culture. Leave comments below to add thoughts and contribute ideas for how it might be actualized.
Why does it matter? What impact might this idea make?
The following description was offered by participants as a way of understanding the prospective impact of this idea:
- By cultivating more collectors, artists might have a strong feeling of empowerment to know that their work is collected, owned, and celebrated by peers.
- Artists of color can have more of their artwork owned and collected by communities of color.
- Dispersement of wealth
- Art making can become a more vibrant part of the local economy and career pathways for artists.
- St. Louis will become even more of a destination place for artists to live, make, and thrive.
How might this idea work?
The following description was offered by participants as a way of understanding how this idea might work:
- There could be a subscription based model that sends small prints and information about artists' works each month to help people learn about more creators. This could also extend to larger works based on a tiered system.
- For individuals interested, they can form a collective of individuals who would commit to buying works of local artists throughout the year. They can recruit others to be apart and attend art events together to learn about artists' works.
How else might this idea work? What could be added and considered? Share thoughts below.
What actions can be taken to actualize this idea?
The following actions were listed by participants in the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture:
- Partner with art classes in graduate programs to attend shows.
- Host an art show that ensures all works by featured artists will be bought.
What additional actions might be considered to actualize this idea? Leave suggestions in the comments below.
Who might participate/engage with this idea?
People groups listed by participants of the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture included the following:
- Artist and architecture collectives
- Art and Design schools and students
- Emerging and practicing artists
Who else might participate in this idea? Leave ideas below.
Who might be a partner for this idea?
Entities listed by participants in the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture included the following entities as partners to engage for this idea:
- Young professional groups
- Historically black fraternities and sororities
Do you know of other prospective partners for this idea? Leave a comment below with more suggestions.
When might this idea happen?
Where might this idea happen?
- The Ville-Greater Ville neighborhoods (4th Ward)
- Cleaver House (The Ville)
- St. Matthews in The Ville
- Cote Brilliante
- Lewis Place
- Academy neighborhood
- Fountain Park
- Vacant Houses in the 4th Ward