Pitch Competition for Artists
This idea emerged during the FoodSpark series on Arts & Culture. Leave comments below to add thoughts and contribute ideas for how it might be actualized.
Why does it matter? What impact might this idea make?
The following description was offered by participants as a way of understanding the prospective impact of this idea:
- It will transfer funds to people who have ideas that will make our lives more interesting.
- It can give artists more access to investors and patrons for their work.
- People can gain awareness of ideas and work that would otherwise be unfunded by traditional competitions.
- Artists will be able to find support outside of standard avenues (foundations/grants, galleries, etc).
- It can provide more freedom and easier access to those without assimilative training.
How might this idea work?
The following description was offered by participants as a way of understanding how this idea might work:
- Organizers become a conduit between art-seekers and artists.
- There could be pop-ups around the city, with excitement and mystery to draw attention.
- Pair investors and prospective patrons to artists.
How else might this idea work? What could be added and considered? Share thoughts below.
What actions can be taken to actualize this idea?
The following actions were listed by participants in the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture:
- Find people to organize the competition and strategize how it will work.
- Create a website.
- Find spaces that could host the pitch nights.
What additional actions might be considered to actualize this idea? Leave suggestions in the comments below.
Who might participate/engage with this idea?
People groups listed by participants of the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture included the following:
- Emerging visual artists
- Practicing, working artists
- Community artists
- Artist Entrepreneurs
- Musicians, producers, and bands
- Artists who seek to gain greater exposure of their work
- Fans of artists
- People with a general interest in art
- People who seek to buy or collect local artworks
Who else might participate in this idea? Leave ideas below.
Who might be a partner for this idea?
Entities listed by participants in the FoodSpark Idea Studio on Arts & Culture included the following entities as partners to engage for this idea:
- Black Skillet (for artists of color)
- People who miss STL Sloup
- Centene Center for the Arts
- Regional Arts Commission
Do you know of other prospective partners for this idea? Leave a comment below with more suggestions.
When might this idea happen?
- It can happen at least four times a year.
Where might this idea happen?
- Various places throughout the city
- Community centers
- Business offices
- Vacant homes and spaces
- Galleries and museums